We hear so much about stretching….so what’s the big deal?
- What is your current understanding of what stretching is and why you should do it?
- Anyone here have neck and shoulder tightness? Painful? Can’t sleep or get comfortable sleeping?
- What are some of your job duties or general activities? Do you sit at a desk all day or on your phone?
I know we hear it all the time….just like we hear that we need to eat right and exercise. Everyone says it’s easy. Then why is it so hard to do or stick with??
It’s kind of the same as eating right and exercising….sounds great. We want to do it BUT…….
- No sure if doing it right
- Not sure which one to do
- If it’s not broken, then what are we doing it for?
- Let’s be honest…..it’s just easier to be lazy….
Of course until the pain creeps in and gets worst!
So many people we work with have had on going pain and tightness for some time…months…usually years. But one of the many reasons it gets worst is because they don’t always know where to start. Sometimes they do some stretching but then they don’t feel the results right away so they give up. One of the most important factors is….they have this story in their head that they tell themselves.
“I’m getting old…this is why its’ happening to me” or “I’m old and it’s only natural this this happens”
One of the main reasons they tell themselves this story is because they have heard it a million times from other people….friends….family…co-workers. So it’s super easy to take that story on as their own story.
Well….I think it’s time we change that story. What if we told the story that we can be more active if we had less pain. And that we would have less pain if we were able to get active. We can tell ourselves that it IS POSSIBLE to be pain free and it is possible to be more active, and it is possible to be able to sleep better and wake up feeling better.
So First we change our story. Then we can take some action. What if we could catch it before it go really bad? What if we knew how it should feel and when we should feel it…when we should go for help.
Here are 5 tips and tricks to help you when stretching….any part of your body!
- When stretching, you should NOT have sharp pains. You should feel somewhat uncomfortable and feel a pulling. Then that feeling should stop when you stop stretching.
- After really good stretches, it’s not uncommon to feel that it is heavy or tired. That’s a good sign of a great stretch …. But it’s a feeling that doesn’t linger.
- Positioning is everything, if you do a stretch once and you feel it, but you do it later and you don’t feel it the same, just change your position slightly and that might make all the difference in the world.
- You want to try and feel even. One side should feel like the other side.
- Hold your stretches…no bouncing….and when in that nice stretch, take a deep breathe, it will relax you into that stretch even deeper.
Try out these tips next time you stretch! Subscribe on our YouTube channel and get updates on some great stretches that we will be posting. It can be the difference of you falling asleep more comfortably and waking up without aches and pains! Wouldn’t that be nice??!!
Disclaimer: As with all our pages, this is NOT a substitute for formal medical treatment or occupational therapy. It is intended to inform only. Hands on Therapy Services disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information.
Hands on Therapy Services in Miami, FL helps people with arm and hand injuries to be able to stay active, pain free, and avoid surgeries. For more contact info please click here
You can follow us on social media: